Ióannés: John, the name of several IsraelitesOriginal Word: Ἰωάννης, ου, ὁ
Part of Speech: Noun, Masculine
Phonetic Spelling: (ee-o-an'-nace)
Short Definition: John
Definition: John: the Baptist, the apostle, a member of the Sanhedrin, or John Mark.
of Hebrew origin Yochanan
John, the name of several Isr.
John (131), John's (4).
STRONGS NT 2491: Ἰωάννης
Ἰωάννης and ((so WH uniformly, except in Acts 4:6; Acts 13:5; Revelation 22:8) Tr in the Gospels of Luke and John (in the Acts, excluding Acts 4:6) and the Revelation (excluding Revelation 22:8)) Ἰωάνης (cf. Tdf. Proleg., p. 79; WHs Appendix, p. 159; Scrivener, Introduction, p. 562 (cf. under the word Nu)), genitive Ἰωάννου, dative Ἰωάννῃ and (in (Matthew 11:4 WH; Revelation 1:1 WH); Luke 7:18 T Tr WH (22 T Tr WH) Ἰωαννει (cf. WHs Appendix, p. 158; Buttmann, 17 (16), 7)), accusative Ἰωάννην, 6 (יוחָנָן and יְהוחָנָן, to whom Jehovah is gracious (others whom Jehovah has graciously given), German Gotthold; the Sept. Ἰωανναν (Tdf. Ἰωανάν), 1 Chronicles 3:24; Ἰωνᾶ, 2 Kings 25:23; Ἰωάνης, 2 Chronicles 28:12 (cf. B. D. American edition, under the word )), John; in the N. T. the men of this name are:
1. John the Baptist, the son of Zacharias the priest and Elisabeth, the forerunner of Christ. By order of Herod Antipas he was cast into prison and afterward bebeaded: Matthew 3:1; Matthew 14:3, and often in the historical books of the N. T.; Josephus, Antiquities 18, 5, 2 (B. D. American edition, under the word ).
2. John the apostle, the writer of the Fourth Gospel, son of Zebedee and Salome, brother of James the elder: Matthew 4:21; Matthew 10:2 (3); Mark 1:19; Mark 9:2, 38; Luke 5:10; Luke 6:14; Acts 1:13, and often; Galatians 2:9. He is that disciple who (without mention by name) is spoken of in the Fourth Gospel as especially dear to Jesus (John 13:23; John 19:26; John 21:7, 20), and according to the traditional opinion is the author of the Apocalypse, Revelation 1:1, 4, 9; Revelation 21:2 Rec.; . In the latter part of his life he had charge of the churches in Asia Minor, and died there at a very advanced age. That be never came into Asia Minor, but died in Palestine somewhat in years, the following writers among others have attempted to prove, though by considerations far from satisfactory: Lützelberger, Die kirchl. Tradition üb.
d. Ap. Johannes as above Schriften. Lpz. 1840; Keim, i., p. 161ff (English translation, i. 218ff); Holtzmann in Sehenkel iii., p. 332ff; Scholten, Der Ap. Johannes in Kleinasien. Aus. d. Holland. deutsch 5: Spiegel. Berl. 1872. On the other side cf., besides others, Grimm in Ersch u. Gruber's Encyklop. 2nd sect. vol. xxii., p. 6ff; Steitz, Die Tradition üb. die Wirksamkeit des Job. in Ephesus, in the Theol. Studien und Kritiken for 1868, 3rd Heft; Krenkel, Der Apost. Johannes. Berl. 1868; Hilgenfeld in the Zeitschr. f. wissensch. Theol. for 1872, p. 372ff, and for 1877, p. 508ff; (also Einl. in d. N. T., p. 394ff); Luthardt, Der johann. Ursprung des 4ten Evang. (Lpz. 1874), p. 93ff (English translation, p. 115ff; Godet, Commentaire etc. 3rd edition vol. i. Introduction, 50:1; § iv., p. 57ff; Bleek, Einl. in d. N. T. (edited by Mangold), p. 167ff; Fisher, The Beginnings of Christianity, p. 327ff).
3. the father of the apostle Peter: Tdf. in John 1:42 (43) and John 21:15ff (in both passages, R G Ἰωνᾶ, L Tr WH Ιωανου) (see Ἰωνᾶς, 2).
4. a certain man ἐκ γένους ἀρχιερατικοῦ, a member of the Sanhedrin (cf. ἀρχιερεύς, 2): Acts 4:6.
5. John surnamed Mark, the companion of Barnabas and Paul: Acts 12:12, 25; Acts 13:5, 13; Acts 15:37 (Tr everywhere with one nu ν; so WH except in Acts 13:5); see Μᾶρκος.
6. John, according to the testimony of Papias in Eusebius, h. e. 3, 39 (cf. Westcott, Canon, 5th edition, p. 70), a disciple of Christ and afterward a Christian presbyter in Asia Minor, whom not a few at the present day, following the opinion of Dionysius of Alexandria (in Eusebius, h. e. 7, 25) regard as the author of the Apocalypse, and accordingly, esteem him as an eminent prophet of the primitive Christians and as the person referred to in Revelation 1:1, 4, 9; Revelation 21:2 Rec.; Revelation 22:8. Full articles respecting him may be found — by Grimm in Ersch u. Gruber's Encyklop. 2nd sect. vol. xxiv., p. 217f; Gass in Herzog vi., p. 763ff; Holtzmann in Schenkel iii., p. 352f; (Salmon in Dict. of Chris. Biog. iii. 398ff; cf. C. L. Leimbach, Das Papiasfragment (Gotha, 1875), especially, p. 114ff). John.
Of Hebrew origin (Yowchanan); Joannes (i.e. Jochanan), the name of four Israelites -- John.
see HEBREW Yowchanan ἔδησεν Ιωανει Ἰωάνει Ιωανην Ἰωάνην Ιωανης Ἰωάνης Ἰωάννῃ Ἰωάννην Ἰωάννης Ἰωάννου Ιωανου Ἰωάνου edesen edēsen Ioanen Ioánen Iōanēn Iōánēn Ioanne Iōannē Ioánnei Iōánnēi Ioannen Ioánnen Iōannēn Iōánnēn Ioannes Ioánnes Iōannēs Iōánnēs Ioannou Ioánnou Iōannou Iōánnou
Strong's Greek 2491
Ἰωάνην — 1 Occ.
Ἰωάννῃ — 5 Occ.
Ἰωάννην — 36 Occ.
Ἰωάννης — 54 Occ.
Ἰωάννου — 39 Occ.
Matthew 3:1 N-NMS
BIB: ἐκείναις παραγίνεται Ἰωάννης ὁ βαπτιστὴς
NAS: in those days John the Baptist came,
KJV: days came John the Baptist, preaching
INT: those comes John the Baptist
Matthew 3:4 N-NMS
BIB: δὲ ὁ Ἰωάννης εἶχεν τὸ
NAS: Now John himself had
KJV: And the same John had his
INT: moreover John had the
Matthew 3:13 N-AMS
BIB: πρὸς τὸν Ἰωάννην τοῦ βαπτισθῆναι
NAS: at the Jordan [coming] to John, to be baptized
KJV: Jordan unto John, to be baptized of
INT: to John to be baptized
Matthew 3:14 Noun-NMS
BIB: ὁ δὲ Ἰωάννης διεκώλυεν αὐτὸν
INT: moreover John was hindering him
Matthew 4:12 N-NMS
BIB: δὲ ὅτι Ἰωάννης παρεδόθη ἀνεχώρησεν
NAS: when Jesus heard that John had been taken into custody,
KJV: that John was cast into prison,
INT: moreover that John had been arrested he withdrew
Matthew 4:21 N-AMS
BIB: Ζεβεδαίου καὶ Ἰωάννην τὸν ἀδελφὸν
NAS: the [son] of Zebedee, and John his brother,
KJV: Zebedee, and John his brother,
INT: of Zebedee and John the brother
Matthew 9:14 N-GMS
BIB: οἱ μαθηταὶ Ἰωάννου λέγοντες Διὰ
NAS: the disciples of John came
KJV: the disciples of John, saying,
INT: the disciples of John saying because of
Matthew 10:2 N-NMS
BIB: Ζεβεδαίου καὶ Ἰωάννης ὁ ἀδελφὸς
NAS: the son of Zebedee, and John his brother;
KJV: Zebedee, and John his brother;
INT: Zebedee and John the brother
Matthew 11:2 N-NMS
BIB: Ὁ δὲ Ἰωάννης ἀκούσας ἐν
NAS: Now when John, while imprisoned,
KJV: Now when John had heard in
INT: moreover John having heard in
Matthew 11:4 N-DMS
BIB: Πορευθέντες ἀπαγγείλατε Ἰωάννῃ ἃ ἀκούετε
NAS: and report to John what
KJV: and shew John again
INT: Having gone relate to John what you hear
Matthew 11:7 N-GMS
BIB: ὄχλοις περὶ Ἰωάννου Τί ἐξήλθατε
NAS: about John, What
KJV: concerning John, What
INT: crowds concerning John What went you out
Matthew 11:11 N-GMS
BIB: γυναικῶν μείζων Ἰωάννου τοῦ βαπτιστοῦ
NAS: [anyone] greater than John the Baptist!
KJV: a greater than John the Baptist:
INT: of women one greater than John the Baptist
Matthew 11:12 N-GMS
BIB: τῶν ἡμερῶν Ἰωάννου τοῦ βαπτιστοῦ
NAS: From the days of John the Baptist
KJV: the days of John the Baptist
INT: the days of John the Baptist
Matthew 11:13 N-GMS
BIB: νόμος ἕως Ἰωάννου ἐπροφήτευσαν
NAS: prophesied until John.
KJV: prophesied until John.
INT: law until John prophesied
Matthew 11:18 N-NMS
BIB: ἦλθεν γὰρ Ἰωάννης μήτε ἐσθίων
NAS: For John came neither
KJV: For John came neither
INT: came indeed John neither eating
Matthew 14:2 N-NMS
BIB: Οὗτός ἐστιν Ἰωάννης ὁ βαπτιστής
NAS: This is John the Baptist;
KJV: This is John the Baptist; he
INT: This is John the Baptist
Matthew 14:3 N-AMS
BIB: κρατήσας τὸν Ἰωάνην ἔδησεν αὐτὸν
NAS: For when Herod had John arrested,
KJV: had laid hold on John, and bound
INT: having seized John he bound him
Matthew 14:4 N-NMS
BIB: γὰρ ὁ Ἰωάννης αὐτῷ Οὐκ
NAS: For John had been saying
KJV: For John said unto him,
INT: indeed John to him Not
Matthew 14:8 N-GMS
BIB: τὴν κεφαλὴν Ἰωάννου τοῦ βαπτιστοῦ
NAS: the head of John the Baptist.
KJV: me here John Baptist's head
INT: the head of John the Baptist
Matthew 14:10 N-AMS
BIB: ἀπεκεφάλισεν τὸν Ἰωάννην ἐν τῇ
NAS: He sent and had John beheaded
KJV: and beheaded John in
INT: he beheaded John in the
Matthew 16:14 N-AMS
BIB: Οἱ μὲν Ἰωάννην τὸν βαπτιστήν
NAS: Some [say] John the Baptist;
KJV: Some [say that thou art] John the Baptist:
INT: some indeed John the Baptist
Matthew 17:1 N-AMS
BIB: Ἰάκωβον καὶ Ἰωάννην τὸν ἀδελφὸν
NAS: and James and John his brother,
KJV: James, and John his brother,
INT: James and John the brother
Matthew 17:13 N-GMS
BIB: ὅτι περὶ Ἰωάννου τοῦ βαπτιστοῦ
NAS: to them about John the Baptist.
KJV: unto them of John the Baptist.
INT: that concerning John the Baptist
Matthew 21:25 N-GMS
BIB: βάπτισμα τὸ Ἰωάννου πόθεν ἦν
NAS: The baptism of John was from what
KJV: The baptism of John, whence was it?
INT: baptism of John from where was it
Matthew 21:26 N-AMS
BIB: ἔχουσιν τὸν Ἰωάννην
NAS: regard John as a prophet.
KJV: all hold John as a prophet.
INT: hold John